Oct 8, 2013

The Truth About You And Me by Amanda Grace (Autumn Taboo Review)



 Buy the book:
Author's:

My rating: 3 stars

***Copy of the book provided by publisher, Flux, via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.***







Book summary:

"Smart girls aren't supposed to do stupid things.
Madelyn Hawkins is super smart. At sixteen, she's so gifted that she can attend college through a special program at her high school. On her first day, she meets Bennett. He's cute, funny, and kind. He understands Madelyn and what she's endured - and missed out on - in order to excel academically and please her parents. Now, for the first time in her life, she's falling in love.
There's only one problem. Bennett is Madelyn's college professor, and he thinks she's eighteen - because she hasn't told him the truth.
The story of their forbidden romance is told in letters that Madelyn writes to Bennett - both a heart-searing ode to their ill-fated love and an apology."


      Written in a form of letters, The Truth About You and Me is heartbreaking confession of sixteen year old girl to her lover. Just like Werther from Goethe's famous eighteenth century novel, Madelyn Hawkins is telling us about everything that happened and reasons for her sorrow.

      For starters, if you are expecting angst filled, "oh, Romeo, why are you Romeo" story with lot of steamy scenes - you've picked the wrong book. Amanda Grace (pen name of Maddy Hubbard) will not give you a chance to think for a second about anything in therms of hotness. What you will get is disturbing story about girl so desperate to do something for herself and to escape mapped out future, that she is willing to the most rebellious thing she can think of - fall in love with her teacher.

    So why three stars? I thought that The Truth About You and Me will be read worthy of Melina Marchetta or Antonia Michaelis. I didn't get that - this was book with interesting premise, but not so good when it was put on paper. First half of book was pretty good, but I had a feeling as if someone forgot to do revisions on the other half. Ending was the weakest part - too rushed and there is one detail that I think should have been excluded from final version.

     Taboo relationship. It is obvious that author tried to write different kind of story about affair between teacher and student and that is the part that I liked the most. Sixteen year old Madelyn is insecure girl who, if you think about it, turns out to be self-centered and scheming person. That doesn't mean that I think how Bennett, her teacher, is "blameless" in the whole thing, but everything is told from her point of view and we can get clues about him only trough the subtext of her letters. In the end, The Truth About You and Me could be described like a tale about deceit and attempt to approach to the subject of student/teacher relationship from social aspect.

      If you have read Drowning Instinct by Ilsa J. Bick and you liked it, you should try to read this book too.

xoxo,

9 comments:

  1. I have seen this one around and honestly the whole idea about book written in form of letters was really appealing to me. Only I'm not sure that I'll read it now, mostly I don't want the ending to ruin my whole experience. Anyhow it's sounds like yet different story about old topic. Great review darling ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you read Left Drowning? I know that Zemira really loved that book - if you liked it too, you might find this one interesting too, but writing in Left Drowning is much better.
      Thank you, babe!:*

      Delete
  2. I rated this one three stars too. The ending did feel a little rushed. :/ I'm sorry that you didn't love this one, Glass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way. Thank you, Megan.
      I really hoped it would be much better.

      Delete
  3. I do not think this is for me, it sounds like the girl is disturbed. Lovely review Glass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else probably wouldn't describe her that way, but that was my impression. You should check out other reviews before you decide that.
      Thank you.

      Delete
  4. I love the concept of a book written through letters - I know I really enjoyed Dracula doing that and some others that I can't remember at the moment - but a red flag went up for me about the MC from just the blurb, and your review confirmed it. Fantastic review :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like it would be a very interesting book so it's too bad that it didn't quite deliver for you! I've never read a student/teacher relationship novel but I think it would be interesting to read! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound interesting... in truth, I was always kinda disturbed by the student/teacher relationaship story arc, but when done well I'm sure could be really intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...