Oct 21, 2013

Preservation by Rachael Wade




Buy the book:
Author's:


***Copy of the book was provided in exchange for honest review.***








Book summary:

"Kate has no time for meaningless romantic charades, and definitely no time for hot college professors who are full of themselves and smitten with her. Constantly battling eviction notices, tuition she can’t afford, and a sick, dependent mother, the last thing she needs is to be distracted with someone else’s complicated baggage.

When she stumbles into Ryan Campbell’s creative writing class, he is only “Mr. Campbell” to her, until Ryan finds himself captivated by her writing and she is forced to face their mutual attraction. His cocky know-it-all syndrome is enough to send her running in the other direction, and his posse of female admirers and playboy reputation are enough to squander any odds in her favor.

But underneath Ryan’s abrasive facade is something to behold, and she can’t stay away for long. Ryan and Kate must decide who they’re willing to become and fight against their former selves if they want to make things work. That’s if academia, vicious vixens, old skeletons, and their own mastery at self-destruction don’t pummel their efforts first."



      I have to be honest with you - I've read Preservation by Rachael Wade against all warnings my friends gave me when they saw that I had put it on my currently reading shelf. After first ten pages or so I thought that they probably had read the different book or something like that. But... They know me well.

     What initially got my attention was the story. Kate is this kick ass heroine who tries as best as she can to escape her past and make something out of herself without anyone's help. She is starting college at age of 21 and her willingness to learn and grow is one of the things I find as big plus. First time she meet Ryan, her creative writing teacher, was probably the best scene in the whole book.
      On the other hand, Ryan had his two or three spotlight moments, but for the most part he annoyed the hell out of me. I didn't find the whole explanation for his womanizing and sleeping around with his students believable at all - it just made him look self-centered, selfish and weak minded.

     The taboo relationship. Preservation had a lot of potential, it has intriguing premise and several times it made me feel this crazy Christian Gray vibe. But somewhere along the road, things went downhill. Ryan and Kate's relationship develops too quickly and in span of few days they go from total strangers to I-love-yous phase. But that maybe wouldn't be such a big problem for me if there was this burn Earth to to ground-hot chemistry between them. There weren't or at least I didn't feel it. Only exiting part is forbidden romance fantasy about getting hot and heavy with your teacher. Speaking about it, I have to say that it wasn't that much of a taboo. It's obvious from the story that no matter all the rules, that type of relationship is something that is socially acceptable and, based on this specific storyline, not so unusual for Mr. Campbell. once again, in New Adult novels breaching this subject, whole focus is on the love story and steamy scenes.

      Who should read this novel? All fans of Teresa Mummert and her Honor Student series.

xoxo,

14 comments:

  1. Hmm...I am not a big fan of teacher/student relationship books. Actually, it doesn't bother me if the student is in college, but I hate it if they are in high school. Like you, I don't think it's a huge issue here, but Ryan sounds like an ass.
    Great review, Glass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel like such a big taboo when everything happens on college, but there is still this whole thing about doing what's considered ethical. It's hard for me to forget that I'm a teacher while I'm reading this type of books.
      Thank you, Andrea!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for giving Preservation a try! I appreciate you being a part of this tour and for taking the time to set up this post.

    Much love,
    Rachael
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for inviting me. I have to admit that I liked Carter's story much, much more.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad to hear one of the books in the series worked for you. I'm actually reading a series now where I loved the first two books (like, crazy fangirl loved!) but the following two, including the one I'm reading now, are just not doing it for me. Sometimes that happens. I'll probably continue the series just to see what happens. Maybe it will redeem itself with the last book. Crossing my fingers! ;)

      Delete
    3. I still think that a lot of readers will like first two novels, but the thing is that I'm over that phase in my "reading life" and that's the reason why I couldn't get into the story. Actually, I've noticed that lot of things I used to find as big plus, now are the exact things because of which I don't like the book I'm reading.
      What are you reading?

      Delete
    4. Oh, I'm a reader just as much as I'm a writer, so I totally get it. Not everything is going to work for everyone, and I find that some things I used to like just don't do it for me anymore. For example the whole millionaire dominant alpha male stories. I loved Fifty and This Man, but after that, I was over that whole theme and just didn't like any others I tried. My latest favorite is the Artists Trilogy by Karina Halle. Have you tried it? It's phenomenal and I wish there were more reads like it!

      Delete
    5. I've waited for final book so wouldn't have to wait to see how will it end.:) I read The Devil's Metal - I still don't know how to describe that book, it was great.
      Uh, I had that phase too.:)

      Delete
  3. I've never read a book that deals with teacher/student relationships, but I do remember seeing this book around before. The book definitely sounds interesting, but I have a thing against insta-love. If you read the next book in the series, I hope you enjoy it more :)

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read a book that involves teacher/student relationships, but I do want to give this a try. I've seen this cover before but have never actually looked up the book. If you read the next book in the series, I hope it's better for you :) Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand the instant attraction - oh, it is so possible, but I felt like there was something missing. Maybe it's just me.:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'd have the same issues with Ryan as you, Glass. Womanizing rarely woos me, as in NEVER. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. I know it would be - that's why I didn't recommend it to you. But I think you'll like Carter's story.

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...