Oct 4, 2013

Broken By Megan Hart

Buy The Book:

Author's Page:

Genre:
Contemporary Romance/ Erotica

Summary on Goodreads:

This month my name is Mary. My name is different every month—Brandy, Honey, Amy…sometimes Joe doesn't even bother to ask—but he never fails to arouse me with his body, his mouth, his touch, no matter what I'm called or where he picks me up. The sex is always amazing, always leaves me itching for more in those long weeks until I see him again.
My real name is Sadie, and once a month over lunch Joe tells me about his latest conquest. But what Joe doesn't know is that, in my mind, I'm the star of every X-rated one-night stand he has revealed to me, or that I'm practically obsessed with our imaginary sex life. I know it's wrong. I know my husband wouldn't understand. But I can't stop. Not yet.
Rating:

***REVIEW***

“There are many things I don't know, but quite a few I do. I know you can't be lost if you know where you are. I know that life is full of precious and fragile things, and not all of them are pretty. I know that the sun follows the moon and makes days, one after another. Time passes. The world turns, and we turn with it, and though we can never go back to the beginning, sometimes, we can start again.” 

Sometimes, when reading a book, I get this urge to kidnap the author, put him in my secret dungeon and make him my own personal Scheherazade, so Megan Hart- be warned.
This book...this book broke my heart into billion little pieces, and even if I read it more than a year ago, I don't think it will ever completely heal.  
This is one of those stories that stays with you forever.
I remember the time I first saw the cover (not this one, the other one which is not so tame) and read the blurb (which doesn't do justice to this book at all btw.!!!) and thought to myself that this is probably just another erotica with sex all over the place, because I didn't read anything by M.Hart until I came across this book, but then I started reading and from the first page saw how wrong I am.
If you ever read a book by Megan Hart, you know that her books aren't "just another erotica."
Her books are deeply emotional & touching stories which can't leave anyone indifferent.

“Memory can refuse to let you forget what you’d like to and run away with what you want to remember. It’s an unreliable bitch, or your best friend. Sometimes, it’s both at once.” 
Sadie and Adam met on collage and it was love at first sight. Everything was perfect- their  love was stronger than ever, they got their degrees, got married, got great jobs...It seemed that their life couldn't get more perfect, but then smth terrible happens and suddenly everything their worked so hard to accomplish is put on stake.

“We were broken, brittle and fragile. The question was, were we still precious to each other? Or, instead of everything falling into place, had it fallen into pieces?” 

One strike of destiny and their love, marriage and spirit gets irrevocably broken. They become shadows of the people they once were and no matter how hard they try to move on, every step ahead is followed by five steps back. There was so much pain, anger and grief between them, that at times it was really hard to read, because Megan Hart is one of those author's whose amazing writing style & way of storytelling connects you with the characters on some deep level and makes you feel everything they are feeling, no matter how flawed they are and how many foolish and reckless mistakes they make.
This book made me angry at world and all the shit people have to deal with in everyday life, especially diseases, and can't do anything about it, except accept whatever comes their way, pick up the pieces and try to move on.

My favorite character was Adam. I fell in love with him right away, even though his pain broke my heart with every next page, because we are given both snippets from past of a beautiful, young and confident man he once were and the shell of a deeply broken man he is today. I kept asking myself what I would do if I was Sadie, how would I deal if that happened to me or if I could deal with it at all, because it takes a really strong person to be able to deal with all that burden. I kept coming with a blank answer and I truly hope I never find out. I know that many people will judge Sadie for her little ways of escaping the reality (note: there's no cheating if you're concerned), at times I did too, because everything that stood in way of Adam's happiness made me angry, but still, after reading her story, I get her in a way. I just didn't see what was it about Joe that kept her coming back every time. I didn't like him at all, mostly because of Adam and therefore I didn't like the ending. The romantic in me hated it, the masochist mourned it and the sadist loved it at the same time, because it was kind of abrupt and I felt that some things developed too fast after everything and because it was the story's last blow, but it hurt the most.

“We labored under the pretense that nothing had changed when everything had, and I understood him, but I no longer knew him."


But no matter the pain and tears this book costed me, the story will stay treasured in my heart 4ever. I would highly recommend it to every MASOCHIST reader out there, because only a true masochist reader can understand and love it.

XOXO

18 comments:

  1. Oh, honey, I'm so happy that you liked this book so much.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my all time favorites. I forgot, it was one of your recommendations wasn't it?:)

      Delete
    2. It was!:) Finally, we agree about at least one book or author.:)

      Delete
    3. You know we agree about more than one ! Who hooked poor, ex-vanilla me on Original Sinners Series :D

      Delete
    4. Hahahahaha... Yes, we did! Oh, I so love to drag you to the dark side with the rest of us!:)

      Delete
    5. I know you love it, maybe even a little too much, lol.
      Now you're stuck with me for good 3:)

      Delete
    6. Gah, I don't mind !:* <3

      Delete
  2. Wow. This sounds like a really amazing book, girly! I'm really glad that you liked it! Adam sounds like a fantastic character, and Sadie seems interesting. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan :).
      This book is one of a kind. If you like emotional stories you should definitely read it!

      Delete
  3. I actually read a book by the author a while ago (The Favor) and I the author's style just didn't suit me. However I do think her characters are rather interesting.

    Great Review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnx Rashika :),
      I haven't read that book yet, so I can's say anything about it. Sorry to hear that you didn't like it :(. I read Broken,Tempted, Naked, The Space Between Us and her latest Tear You Apart and loved every single of them. I agree with you, her characters are never boring.

      What I love about them is that none of them are portrayed as the usual "too perfect to be true" characters, but they are flawed characters with many secrets, some of which might shock you and that's very important to me when reading a book, because it makes it more realistic.

      Delete
    2. I like her books because of characters too - they are almost like real persons and not the glorified romantic visions of author.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reassuring that there is no cheating. That annoys me in books :/ Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnx Stephanie :).
      I avoid stories where there's cheating too.

      Delete
  5. Wow, this one sounds really good. It's unexpected because I usually don't like books like this but the way you described it and those quotes sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnx Alise :),
      I hope you're gonna like it when you read it.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like an incredibly intense book, glad you really enjoyed it! The whole masochistic thing is like crazy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thnx Jeann :),
      It is a really intense book. Lol, I agree with you about "the masochistic thing" xD.
      What can I say to my defense, except that I find sad or even tragic stories beautiful in their own way.
      It's like, for me, they leave bigger impression on the reader and they are not so easy to forget like your typical HEA story.

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...