Oct 25, 2013

Tear You Apart by Megan Hart

Buy The Book:

Author's Page:

Genre:
Contemporary Romance

Summary on Goodreads:

Their passion will consume everything and everyone in its path.


I'm on a train.

I don't know which stop I got on at; I only know the train is going fast and the world outside becomes a blur. I should get off, but I don't. The universe is playing a cosmic joke on me. Here I had my life—a good life with everything a woman could want—and suddenly, there is something more I didn't know I could have. A chance for me to be satisfied and content and maybe even on occasion deliriously, amazingly, exuberantly fulfilled.



So this is where I am, on a train that's out of control, and I am not just a passenger. I'm the one shoveling the furnace full of coal to keep it going fast and faster.



If I could make myself believe it all happened by chance and I couldn't help it, that I've been swept away, that it's not my fault, that it's fate...would that be easier? The truth is, I didn't know I was looking for this until I found Will, but I must've been, all this time. And now it is not random, it is not fate, it is not being swept away.



This is my choice. And I don't know how to stop.
Or even if I want to.


***BUDDY REVIEW by Purple & Beatrix***


PurpleBook's thoughts:

“Love is always real, even when it doesn’t last.” 

As all of you are probably more than aware of by now- I'm a masochist reader- meaning I have this "sick perversion" for deeply emotional & tear-your-heart-apart type of stories and Megan Hart is my Queen. Being a masochist reader can be very lonely sometimes, because I know that people usually prefer more cheerful and & fairy-tale-alike stories, so I'm really glad that our newest blog member Beatrix shares the same "perversion" like I do :). After I read Tear You Apart I was set on a mission to make her read smth by my favorite masochist Queen with whose work she wasn't familiar until this book- I know, shame on her ;). 

I was so happy when she decided to give M. Hart and this book a chance and started reading it right away...and then came the atypical silence- no word from Beatrix for hours which made me start worrying that she might hate the book and doubt my decision of recommending it to her, because as a reader she's far from easy to impress and when she doesn't like smth she isn't afraid at all to say it. Fortunately, in the end, my worries were unnecessary.

But enough about us, let us introduce you to this engrossing, emotional & heart-wrenching story.

“The word love has always tasted like the scent of fresh ink and soft paper to me. Like a newly written poem.” 

Megan Hart writes the type of stories that IMO you'll either love or hate. It's like- either you get it and get compelled by the story & its characters page by page or you get it, but just don't care. I can understand why there are so many mixed reviews about this book, because just  like every other book by M. Hart, this one too dealt with some heavy issues, this time: adultery. It's a very sensitive subject and I usually avoid books with similar themes, and if this book wasn't written by this particular author, I would have probably never been brave or eager enough to read it, but M. Hart has a way to tell you a story in a way that you can process it from every corner, both ugly & good, and in the end- it's up to you to decide if this is just another book about a woman having affair or there's more to the story than just that and before you already decide not to read it, because of this particular issue, I ask you to be open-minded and to give it a chance, because you might be surprised.

“Jealousy smells like the water in the bottom of a flower vase after the flowers have died.” 

For me, there was so much more to this story than the cheating part, especially after getting to know the main character Elisabeth and getting a peek of her everyday life. It's not easy to be a woman. Women have many roles in life- we are sisters, daughters, wives, mothers etc. and it's expected from us to excel in every role, but above all we are also human beings with needs, desires and expectations of our own, and sometimes it's hard to decide which of these roles should come first without losing ourselves in the process. That's why I could sympathize with Elisabeth. She was a very interesting character. She sees and feels everything around her through smell and taste and it was amazing to see the world through her "special sight."  This is one of those don't judge me, if you don't know me stories. The ending, and that last quote were IMO so right. They made me fall with the story even more and I wouldn't change a thing about it. What else to say than- bow to The Queen!!!

“...This is the truth. I have been in love. I have been in lust. I’ve made good choices and bad ones, I have been smart and I’ve been stupid. But I have never in my life felt the way I do now...” 

PURPLE'S RATING:
5/5 stars


Beatrix' thoughts:

First I'd like to thank to my dear Purple  for recommending this book to me, yeah it's true, I haven't read Megan Hart before, and I'm deeply ashamed haha, but that's definitely gonna change after now.
The type of books I enjoy are the raw and emotional ones, and this one falls into that category, as I've said in my review, I liked the writing style the most, how the ordinary emotions are brought into the focus.
So, read our thoughts and tell us what you think of this one!

The well of my heart is a very deep place,
and at the bottom, it's dark.

Oh boy, what a story… Truly, not what I expected. I like this kinds of books: real, raw, emotional stories. This book was really deep. I like the way it’s done, we’re slowly absorbed with the story, I didn’t connect with Elisabeth right away, it took some time, but then I’ve found myself sympathizing with her, understanding her.. Because to me, this is a story about Elisabeth, she’s central here! To be honest, the story itself is nothing original, woman unsatisfied with her life, unfulfilled, cheats on her husband, nothing new, but the way it was written, the way Megan Hart made us care is something special. And the ending, that did it for me, truly beautiful, I love the way it finished. This was a story about Elisabeth, her finding herself again. And the last sentence in the book illustrates it quite well.

He was my ocean, and I didn't know if I would drown until I learned how well I could swim.
So the biggest reason I liked this book so much is the writing style and the way ordinary emotions are transmitted. I will definitely be reading Megan Hart again, and now I’m going to listen to that Tear You Apart rock opera.

BEATRIX' RATING:
4/5 stars


XOXO
Purple & Beatrix

14 comments:

  1. Hmm...she writes stories you either love or hate?? Sounds interesting. I wonder where I would fall in that. Ice always meant to read Hart. I'm glad you ladies liked this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrea :).

      Her characters are always realistic people with flaws which might make you uncomfortable, this time f.e. married woman having affair. I usually avoid books where there's cheating involved, because I have a strong opinion about it. There are so many books out there with the more often used "super-gorgeous & super-rich formula", and I know that many people prefer to read about those type of characters.

      That's why I think her stories are love/hate them stories. Do let us know if you read it where you fall :)

      Delete
  2. I really hope you'll pick this up, and that you'll like it! :)

    It's a very mature book, and yes there's adultery, but to this books wasn't so much about that as it was about Elisabeth and her personal growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful reviews, Purple and Beatrix! I'm definitely intrigued, although I'm the reader Purple describes in the outset, I love happy cheerful stories with a solid HEA, even if it might be a bit realistic. I have been known to love an angsty and dark read as well, too. I just have to be mentally prepared and the writing must be good and addictive.

    I will check this out, especially with both of you endorsing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel :)

      Don't get me wrong, I love HEA stories too, but I also love dark and emotional stories which don't necessarily have to have a HEA. Those are stories that aren't easy to forget and leave bigger impression on the reader, at least for me.

      Hope you'll like the book *fingers crossed* :). Either way, let us know your thoughts about it when you read it!

      Delete
  4. I totally know what you mean about being a masochist reader. I need to feel my heart ripping out sometimes. Not all the time, but enough to get a good cry on. lol. This sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, in that case you should definitely check this book out or any other book by this author (Broken, The Space Between Us, Tempted etc)! :)

      I doubt that this book will make you cry, but it is a very emotional read. Hope it won't disappoint.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. I think I'll re-read Broken, Tempted and Naked as soon as I find free time. But of course, I'll read this first.:D

      Delete
  5. Thank you guys for your thoughts!
    If both Purple & I liked this, it is gooood :))
    If you want to read something emotional and real, this one's for you!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree about what you said about her books. But then again it is kind of the same for all books dealing with serious issues isn't it? Sometimes the reader will agree and sometimes they won't.
    Have you read The Favor Purple?? because if you are a fan of her books I definitely want to know what you thought about it!

    I am glad you enjoyed the book though :) It kind of makes me want to pick up the book but I don't do so well with sensitive issues, I'll either love it or end up being pissed for a long time, so I am really careful when picking up a book dealing with sensitive issues.

    Great review girls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rashika :)

      Agree. It is the same for all heavy reads, but I almost always end up agreeing when I read her books :D. That's why I'm willing to read about themes I'm not exactly comfortable with and which I usually avoid.

      The Favor is on my TBR list, haven't read it yet. I know you said you didn't like it. I think that even Glass rated it with 3 stars, but I'm not sure. I remember reading some reviews about it, saying that it wasn't the typical M. Hart read, but more of a chick-lit with a little angst. That's why I probably haven't read it yet, but I will soon.

      I know where you're coming from, because I'm exactly like that with those type of books. I read them only if they are written by my favorite authors or have an interesting premise. Still hope you'll give this book a chance.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
    2. I know what you mean :P there are certain authors you just trust. :)

      Yeah I do remember mentioning it... but it's hard to just say anything about her books honestly. Because even though I didn't enjoy the book, she developed the relationship in the book so well! Plus the book did help me out of a reading slump :P Did Glass review it on the blog? :)

      Honestly, it probably was like a chic lit but there wasn't a LOT of angst.. the adults ACTED like adults (which is surprisingly rare).

      Delete
    3. I gave The Favor 5 stars - it is little bit different from usual M. Hart novels, but I liked it a lot - as you said Rashika, adults are adults and not all around popular "forever-16-syndrome" and I love how realistic it felt. So far I still haven't found another author that can make her fictional world look so much like real life. I think main reason why readers didn't like it that much was because they expected erotic romance along the lines of Tempted. Not all of her books are like that.
      Purple, you should read Precious and Fragile Things - that book is like nothing I've read so far.
      Unfortunately, I didn't post review - I had lot of papers to grade around that time and I forgot about it.:(

      Delete
    4. Honestly, for me the main reason I didn't like it was that when the actual favor was revealed, it just didn't seem worth all the build up and the Favor itself, it just bothered me. If he really loved her he would have done something that wouldn't have made HER so miserable, never mind him. I realize his heart was in the right place but he went about it in the wrong way.

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...