Jun 13, 2014

Red by Kate Kinsey

Buy The Book:
Author's Page:
Summary on Goodreads:

Truly, madly...deadly

A BDSM thriller

Detective Tom Hanson has a string of grotesquely mutilated bodies on his hands and no answers—aside from the fact that the victims were members of an underground sex club catering to singular erotic tastes. Tastes the long, lean detective has sampled himself in the arms of his former lover, a fiery redhead who offered the most erotic, irresistible sex he’d ever encountered. Until the night she’d begged for the one thing he couldn’t give, and he lost her forever.

Gina Larsen is the only one who can guide Hanson through the fringe world of dark fantasy and desire that lies hidden deep beneath the Bible Belt. Lured into her lair by a quest for justice, Hanson discovers his hunger for Gina has only grown stronger and deeper…beyond the edge of control. Soon he’s shedding his last inhibitions in the search for answers, but the more she draws him into her erotic web, the less he can distinguish between passion and duty, pleasure and pain…good and evil.

RATING:


***REVIEW***


The desire had always been there.
A yearning for dark, shadowed things that could not be spoken of,
could hardly be put into words even if she dared...


Dark, gripping, edgy, raw, scary & way too hot.

This was something different. Sometimes you just know right at the beginning that you're gonna like the book and this was that kind of book for me and do I even have to mention the intriguing cover. I read the first couple of pages and I was immediately seduced by the provocative, at times poetic voice of the author. Her amazing writing style is one of the most important resons why you should read this.

She wanted to offer up her body and mind
and soul
in devotion and pain and suffering so sweet
it denied all attempts to define, describe, quantify.
She learned what others called it.
Sadomasochism.
But it was inadequate, not the right word at all.
Perversion was worse in its cruelty, its judgement. 
But nothing could stop the want.

First thing you need to be aware of is that this is not a BDSM romance book. There is romance in it, but it's more of a background story and it's not your conventional type of romance. As the blurb above states, this is a Bdsm thriller, and the main focus is on the question: who did it??? The story is told from various points of views, but the two most important ones are detective Tom Hanson and his ex-lover Gina Larson who is also ex-cop turned dominatrix. The series of brutal murders in the secret Bdsm "society" brings them back together which soon enough turns to the biggest and one of the most gruesome cases of their life.

The Bdsm lifestyle presents an important aspect of the story regarding both the case and the sex part. There were a couple of sex scenes, not too much, and those were, just like the bloody murders, pretty explicit and hands down dirty. Every chapter of the book begins with a quote by some of the famous authors and philosophers out there (W. Shakespeare, W. Faulkner, Nietzsche, ...) what I really liked. The quotes were deep and provocative and they were mostly about pain mixed with pleasure and they made me think that some of these authors were pretty kinky themselves, LOL.

"I'm your spaniel; and, Demetrius,
The more you beat me, I will fawn on you: Use me but as your spaniel, spurn me, strike me,neglect me, lose me; only give me leave,
Unworthy as I am, to follow you. What worse place can I beg in your love,
And yet a place of high respect with me, -Than to be used as you use your dog.

By W.S.,"A Midsummer Night's Dream"

The only flaw for me was that I guessed quite early in the story who was "the bad man", even though the story did got me second guessing a couple of times, and I was a bit frustrated because the characters seemed oblivious to the things that were right in front of them

And the ending? Omg, I frigging loved it!  I would have given 10 stars just for that awesome ending, that's all I'm going to say.

The message of this book: A strong and confident woman can be the deadliest weapon of them all if she chooses it.


So, if you want  something unique, maybe a well-written, dirty & gripping Bdsm mind-fuck- this is it!


Well done Kate Kinsey!

"The true man wants two things: danger and play, for that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."  By Friedrich Nietzche

                                                                          xoxo

17 comments:

  1. I always get frustrated when the characters cannot see what is right in front of them. I love the cover and this sounds quite good! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a bit frustrating, but now when I think about it, there's a justifying reason even for that.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kim, it can be frustrating when that happens. Sounds like this is quite the read though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. It's a really smart written read. If you're a fan of dark reads, you should definitely check this out.

      Delete
  3. This looks really interesting. I love erotic thrillers and good romantic suspense. I also like a lot of really dark UF, so this seems like it takes all the dark parts of all of those and puts them together. I will have to look that up.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case, I think you will like like this Melanie :))

      Delete
  4. It always annoyed me when I understand things before the characters but it sounds like a great book and I'm glad you had a good time with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, but it could also be that I read too many dark mind-fucks, so I became an expert at figuring them out, lol ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I think I must add this to the TBR. Yes...yes, I must. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you have to add it :D

      Delete
  6. "Gina Larson who is also ex-cop turned dominatrix"

    Whaaaat? I already love her. lol. I want to read this now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *adds to tbr* LOL it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that cover, and once again I'm totally intrigued by your review. I can see myself being drawn immediately as you did. I see that the mystery wasn't done too tied, but sounds like is not a deal breaker.
    Thank you, great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are T. Reisz fan, that's why I think that you might like this too.

      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  9. Wow a BDSM thriller, that surely sounds very different! Too bad it was a tad predictable. Great review Purple!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...