Jun 12, 2014

Awaken (Spiral of Bliss, #3) by Nina Lane







Get your copy:


Connect with the author:







  

Book summary:
 
“I love that you love me, professor.”
“I love loving you, beauty.”

Since their intense, passionate beginning, Professor Dean West and his wife Olivia have fought dark secrets and betrayal in order to save their marriage. Now reeling in the aftermath of a personal tragedy, Liv and Dean are driven further apart by a vindictive threat to Dean’s career.

Struggling to stand on her own for the first time in years, Liv is determined to defend her husband and prove herself. Then an unexpected letter dredges up old insecurities and endangers Liv’s newfound independence. As Dean fights for his professional life, he is forced to confront his worst fear when he discovers that he can’t protect his beloved wife from her own painful past.



 
 My rating: 4 stars


My review:


...more than desire, more than tenderness, more than adoration, more than love...
 
1. Arouse
2. Allure
3. Awaken

That's the order of the books in the series. It is also the order of the books by how much I liked them. I mean, I liked Awaken, but not as much as I liked Arouse and Allure.

There were two reasons for that:
1. A few characters I pretty much hated played a large role in this novel.
2. What I loved most about the first two books was that the plot was based on troubles Liv and Dean had as a couple. Here, the complications were caused by outsiders, while the two of them were  strong. And while I was glad they were rekindling their love, it just stopped being interesting for me after a while.

Here's what I wrote right after I finished it:

I can handle sad books. In fact, I love them, but it is the books that have characters that make me angry that I have a problem with. And Awaken had a few of those said characters.

Liv's mother... I despised that woman from the beginning, and now that she showed up for real in a book, wasn't fun for me. Honestly, I would really like to read a book where the heroine has a good mother and a normal relationship with her. I can't remember when was the last time that happened.

Then it was Maggie Hamilton, of course. That little weasel. I just wanted to pull her hair out. I hate people like her, even in books. And her father - what an asshole.

So you see, I was very upset throughout the majority of the book, because it mostly focused on those vicious accusations by that idiotic girl.

Ugh, I think I'm still agitated.

On the other hand, Liv and Dean together almost smothered me with their love and all those touchy-feely stuff. Don't get me wrong, I love those two crazy kids together, and I'm happy for them. It's just that at some point it became a little too much for me.

But, all in all, I loved this series, and I believe that Arouse will remain one of my dearest books.



As you can see, I was rather upset by everything that happened in the book when I wrote this, but my co-blogger Iva also wrote a review for Awaken in which she described all the good things about the book, so make sure you read that, too. You'll get a much better picture about the book.

XOXO
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...