Nov 23, 2013

Bad Idea (Itch, #1) by Damon Suede

Buy The Book:
Author's Page:

Genre:
MM Contemporary Romance/ Adult Fiction

Summary on Goodreads:

Some mistakes are worth making. 

Reclusive comic book artist Trip Spector spends his life doodling super-square, straitlaced superheroes, hiding from his fans, and crushing on his unattainable boss until he meets the dork of his dreams. Silas Goolsby is a rowdy FX makeup creator with a loveless love life and a secret streak of geek who yearns for unlikely rescues and a truly creative partnership.

Against their better judgment, they fall victim to chemistry, and what starts as infatuation quickly grows tender and terrifying. With Silas’s help, Trip gambles his heart and his art on a rotten plan: sketching out Scratch, a “very graphic novel” that will either make his name or wreck his career. But even a smash can't save their world if Trip retreats into his mild-mannered rut, leaving Silas to grapple with betrayal and emotions he can't escape. 

What will it take for this dynamic duo to discover that heroes never play it safe?

RATING:



***REVIEW***

Hot Head by Damon Suede was one of my first MM reads (Hot Head Review) and it's still one of my favorite ones. Just thinking about it makes me wanna read it again while waiting for the next book in the series- Hard Head, #2. That's why I was ecstatic when I saw that the author published another mm book. All I knew is that I had to have it. And then I did and...things didn't go exactly as I imagined it. 


"Was it too much?" 
"S'super man," Silas smiled to himself drunkenly 
as he reveled in the wet skid of Trip's corded arms 
looped around his trunk, grinding close as he dared.
"Fuck off," Trip giggled. "You're Superman."
"Then you gotta be Clark." Silas chuckled. 
"No wonder Superman always had 
Clark Kent inside him." "Truth. Poor Lois Lane."

My first wrong assumption was probably that the book will be something like Hot Head and while reading it I just couldn't stop comparing it to that book. To make things clear- the book wasn't like Hot Head at all. It's a totally different and new world of geeks, comics and technology and I think that readers who aren't into that stuff or aren't a little geeks themselves won't exactly like this book, but who knows, I could be wrong. Even I who consider myself a little bit of a geek didn't understand some of their "geeky jokes" or knew who the hell were some of the comic or movie people they mentioned and it annoyed me a little.

The beginning was kind of shaky; it's like you get hit with so many things at once from so many different directions, especially in the 1st half of the book. I was struggling with the story and its characters. It was a bit too romantic and sweet for my taste. The two main characters meet already at the beginning and start dating in a short amount of time. There was no tension and anticipation and I missed that. I guess I get bored easily if things go too smoothly. And then there's the main character of this book, the comic writer- Trip. We had a love/ hate relationship through the whole book. At times he was a fun, sweet and adorable geek and I loved him in those moments, but at other times he tended to be a drama queen on steroids and I just wanted to shake him and make him pull himself together, but I could also relate to him to some extent, because he was described as an "imperfectionist"- a person who always expects something bad to happen when there are too many good things happening to him. I'm sometimes like that and I really don't like that about myself.

"Maybe that's what being a couple meant: not that you were brave for each other, but that you could let someone be scared or damaged without judging them. Sharing monsters.
Knowing theirs, giving them yours."

"You hurt me," he said. His hoarse voice made the truth sound final.
"I know. I know I did." Silas wheezed and wiped his nose. "Trip, everything can't come from one person. It's a two way deal . But there are certain things you can never undo or unsay."

Silas was the stronger one of the two of them and that's why I liked him better. He's the type of person who gets very passionate about the things he wants and isn't afraid to do anything it takes to get it. I loved that about him, especially all the things he did for Trip. He was such a likable and fun character who kept me turning the pages. Just like Hot Head, this was also a way-too-hot read. These two were some pretty kinky nerds if you know what I mean- sweet and kind of shy in the real world, but beasts in the bedroom ;). They have a more light version of Dom/ sub relationship, and you'll be surprised who has the upper hand, at least between the sheets. When it comes to the writing style, it was also a bit too much at times. The author tends to describe every single thing to tiny details which was at times a good thing, and at times not such a good thing. I also think that the book could have been for at least 30 pages shorter, because it felt that some situations kept repeating themselves. 

The things I really liked were the friendship bonds between the characters. Both, Silas & Trip, had pretty awesome, fun and loving friends who made this read better. All in all, the book was o.k., fun, sweet, romantic and a bit dramatic. It had its up and down moments, but just like everyone else, I couldn't stop comparing it to Hot Head which was way much better IMO, so I'm rating it with solid 3 stars. Will  I read the next one in the series? Probably. I'm still interested in where this is going.

"I want you in my bed. I want you in my life. I promise to come over to yours. I don't want you to vanish, Mr. Goolsby." He whispered, "Deal?"
Silas stared back and whispered, "Deal."

XOXO

6 comments:

  1. I have Hot Head but still haven't read it. :-(

    This is the second review I've read for Bad Idea. The other had the same issues as you.

    Sorry this dudnt live up to expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, if you are mm fan, you should definitely read Hot Head :)

      Thnx for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. This sounds interesting despite the wavering personality of Trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting, but I think some things should have been reedited one more time before the book was published.

      Delete
  3. LOL kinky nerds. Love it! I have Hot Head sitting on my shelf and so need to get to it. It's hard when you find one you really LOVE from an author and go into another expecting similar. Glad you enjoyed parts of it though! Hopefully book 2 will be a little more solid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks :). Oh, you have to read Hot Head!!! Yeah,they were pretty kinky :D. I always say that the supposed quiet and shy ones are the kinkiest xD
    I hope so too.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...