Nov 14, 2013

A Little Too Far by Lisa Desrochers





Buy the book:
Author's:

My rating: 3 stars








Book summary:

"Have you ever gone just a little too far?

Lexie Banks has.

Yep. She just had mind-blowing sex with her stepbrother. In her defense, she was on the rebound, and it’s more of a my-dad-happened-to-marry-a-woman-with-a-super-hot-son situation. But still, he’s been her best friend and confidant for the better part of the last few years … and is so off limits. It’s a good thing she’s leaving in two days for a year abroad in Rome.

But even thousands of miles away, Lexie can’t seem to escape trouble. Raised Catholic, she goes to confession in hopes of alleviating some of her guilt … and maybe not burning in hell. Instead, she stumbles out of the confessional and right into Alessandro Moretti, a young and very easy-on-the-eyes deacon … only eight months away from becoming a priest. Lexie and Alessandro grow closer, and when Alessandro’s signals start changing despite his vow of celibacy, she doesn’t know what to think. She’s torn between falling in love with the man she shouldn’t want and the man she can’t have. And she isn’t sure how she can live with herself either way."


      "Tabooish" themes are my absolute favorite and I never can't turn down opportunity to read something with that kind of storyline. When I saw that A Little Too Far, along with this oh so hot cover, is about pseudo-incest, I was all "Gimme now!" Did I get what I expected? That and then some more. Did I like it? Well, that is the problem...

       Story & Characters. When I started reading this book, I was hooked - Lexie is back home, avoiding her idiotic ex-boyfriend, preparing for her trip to Italy and talking about her hot stepbrother Trent. Next thing she's home, Trent is home, no parents, they talk and wham --- they are all over each other in the way that is all but brotherly or sisterly. (Oh, shut up and stop glaring at me! Look at the mirror before you start judging someone else for having same fantasies like you.) Five pages later she is in Italy standing on the doorstep and drooling over to-be-priest, Alessandro. Uh, uh...

SPOILER ALERT!

      There is no way I can talk about A Little to Far without spoilers, so consider yourselves warned. If you didn't read it, come back later when you do. If you do not care about spoilers - continue.
      When a book is based on one big taboo, it could be really well and tastefully written - like Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma. It's a thin line between writing just for the sake of getting the attention and creating a hype, and genuine interest in problem. Lisa Desrochers doesn't have any interest in later - she created romantic and sexual fantasy. Lexie is in love with her stepbrother - who isn't actually related to her, their parents got married when they were 15 or so. Pent up sexual tension over the years ends up in one (or few) mind blowing orgazams. They don't get a chance to talk about what happens and Lexie is all over the ocean in Italy for the rest of the school year. This is where whole thing went "a little too far" for me.
       It wasn't enough to include one taboo, but there has to be more. Meet Alessandro, Franch/Italian/
American hot as sin soon to priest. He cooks, he is ex criminal who lost his V-card with his brother's ex-girl, he knows everything about arts, takes her to this long tours, listens to her confession about Trent. That is not all. Alessandro has a seriously hot body because he is boxer and he's training young boys in Youth Center. And nobody asks questions - why is young almost priest all the time with a girl, why does he take her home to meet family, eating dinner at her apartment... Before you get to say what the fuck, he got our fair lady on kitchen table having her instead of dessert. So...
      Lexie is the most annoying character since Kiera from Thoughtless series. She has no clue what she actually wants, she is all over the place with her emotions and hormones. One minute she is in love with her stepbrother and in the other she is thinking how her priest has broad shoulders and muscular arms. Hmm... Probably the most stupid part of this whole situation is her friendly relationship with Trent - she would curl up in his lap and cry all the damn time while they were growing up. And he is just one year older than her. And their parents didn't mind that their kids were all way too close for "siblings". Yes, that is really how it works in real life.

OKAY, I'M GOOD NOW...

      Back to the original question - did i like A Little Too Far? I would be a complete hypocrite if I would say that I didn't. On contrary, I read it in almost one sitting, I devoured all hot parts. This book goes in my favorite trashy books bookshelf - there are so many thing that bothered me, I hate characters, but I'd still read them. A Little Too Far and other books like this are my guilty, masochist pleasure.

xoxo,

4 comments:

  1. Lexie might drive me nuts, but I still want to read this. Wonderful review, Glass! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, I know what you mean. I still want to read sequel.

      Delete
  2. Oh I had wanted to read a Little Too Far before and I ~think~ the next one in the series has come out as well. I like the concept behind the book but when the characters irritate me I end up hating it. Its sad to see that Lexie was annoying. I still MAY give it a try but not anytime soon.
    Thanks for your fabulous review Glass! :)

    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, I'll have to read it soon.
      You should give it a try if you like tabooish topics - it's nothing too scandalous, but still...

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...