Aug 12, 2015

Review: You (You, #1) by Caroline Kepnes




Buy links:
Amazon * Kobo * B & N

Author links:


Add on Goodreads
















BOOK SUMMARY

When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.



MY REVIEW

Rating:


Solipsistic (adj.) overly concerned with one's own desires, needs, or interests

Joe, 

Since this book about you was very unique – basically it was unlike anything I’d read before; and also very special to me, I’ve decided to make my review a bit different as well, in honor to you. 

You were a real psycho, yet somehow you made me like you. Reading the Book of Joe (i.e. the novel You) was a unique experience, precisely because of you. I admire your creator, author Caroline Kepnes because I’m sure being in your head was no easy task. 

This book about you is written is second person, which I believe was the perfect choice, because first of all, it completely removes us – the readers; we are irrelevant, it’s all about you and your ‘darling’ Beck. Secondly, it gives us a sense intimacy and it further highlights your obsession with Beck. Just brilliant! Ms. Kepnes, well done! I know Joe you probably want to take all the credit here, but I have to acknowledge good writing when I see it. I’m sure you, as a fellow book lover would understand. 

Furthermore, I guess there were some parts that some readers might call tedious, because you described every minute detail regarding Beck’s life, and yes, that was strange because normal people don’t obsess about someone that much, nor do they stalk them, read their e-mails, harm their friends, etc. so it was at times overwhelming to read about how Beck basically invaded all of your thoughts. However, it was also necessary to portray all of that – to illustrate to which extent you were fixated on Beck. 

Moreover, now onto your favorite topic (after Beck, mind you!) – books. My favorite books are generally those whose genre is difficult to define. The same case is here. I really don’t know where I’d place you; you combine psychological thriller, social comedy, contemporary, with a little eroticism thrown in. And I guess that is why I liked you so much. 

Unusual, boundary-pushing, you were an overall likable psycho. I can’t wait to read about you again.

Until next time, 
Beatrix 

“The problem with books is that they end. They seduce you. They spread their legs to you and pull you inside. And you go deep and leave your possessions and your ties to the world at the door and you like it inside and you don't want for your possessions or your ties and then, the book evaporates.”



*********
*Read Purple's review of You here.*


xoxo,
Beatrix


5 comments:

  1. A likeable psycho? How is this possible? This book has been pushed and pushed by blogger friends but I've yet to garner enough courage to read it. Someday, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, the pressure of hype. I still hope you read this hehe :)

      Delete
  2. Oh thank goodness, I was afraid to look at your review. I loved this book so much. That's an awesome review!

    Ugh, I am one of those who have been pushing Joy to read this, so you need to join in. She needs to read this! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yey, so glad you loved it too! And thank you. :)

      Hehe, let's hope she does.

      Delete
  3. Args. I've had this one on my review list since before it came out and *shame face* still haven't gotten to it. I think every blog I follow though has raved. Must find the time.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...