Aug 13, 2013

The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1) by Samantha Towle

Buy The Book:

Author's Page:

Genre:
Contemporary Romance/ Adult

Summary on Goodreads:

It's been twelve years since Tru Bennett last saw Jake Wethers, her former best friend and boy she once loved.

Jake Wethers, sexy, tattooed and deliciously bad lead singer, and brains behind The Mighty Storm, one of the biggest bands in the world, left Tru with a broken heart when he moved from England to America with his family when they were both fourteen.
Sent to interview Jake for her music column by the magazine she works for, they are both unprepared for the sparks that fly the instant they reconnect. Only, there’s a complication to their instant feelings for one another—Will, Tru’s boyfriend of two years. 
Then Jake makes Tru a job offer she can't refuse—travelling the world with him and his band. But taking the job means leaving Will behind, and being on the road with the band means spending an inordinate amount of time with Jake. 
Is Tru strong enough to resist the delectable bad boy who once held her heart so completely, or will she willingly risk it all for one night with the world's most notorious womanizer?


My Rating:

***REVIEW***

First of all, I want to point out to everyone who like me saw these reviews and comments about this book being smth similar to the Fifty Shades Trilogy and decided to read it (o.k., I lie,the cover did it for me and a promise of the messed up, hot & tattooed rocker, but that's not the point :P)- this book is nothing like FST. The only similarity is that the male character is a rich, arrogant, a bit messed up (in comparison to Mr Grey, this rocker is a saint- believe me), jealous and highly possessive of the woman he loves-but aren't they all?

So all of you who detested FST don't be afraid to give this book a shot,because it's really nothing like FST when it comes to the plot. P.S.Lately, I've been reading lots of comments and book premises who start smth like this:"If you loved Fifty you would love this book etc." In the begging it was kind of "cute", but now it really started to annoy me, especially when the book is nothing like FS. I find it pathetic actually-be unique, be yourself, don't steal other people's ideas or try to promote yours using other people's success (although FS is supposed to be some twisted version of Twi-fiction, so I can't really argue with that.) But back to this book:

Okay, so tomorrow, at 10am, I’m going to see Jake for the first time in twelve years.
Jake Wethers, the man who used to be the boy I loved.
Jake Wethers the biggest rock star, and most wanted man in the world, tomorrow will be
sitting before me giving me an interview, and I haven’t got a bloody clue what I’m going to ask him.


So the story started off really good. It's told from the from the first pov by the main female character-Trudy Bennett, a music journalist. I really liked her at the beginning, especially because we have some things in common- we both play piano, love rock music (and have a weak spot for musicians:) and we both got our taste for music from our dads who are huge rock fans, know to play guitar and who once wanted to have a band and be greater than the Rolling Stones.

As much as i liked her, the moment this tattooed "bad-boy" rock star Jake Weathers entered the picture, he stole the show for me. Girls & musicians,ha?-The resistance is futile. He is a typical *bad-boy type* on the outside: arrogant, bossy, doesn't take 'no' for an answer with his own harem of women worshiping his every breath and a scandalous past hunting him his whole life.

He looks at ease up there, but I can tell he’s a little on edge. I can see it in his eyes. That little lost look he gets.
He exudes calm control to everyone, but I can tell. He was the same when we were kids. Other people probably miss it, but I see it, I’ve always seen it in him.


But Trudy is one of the rare people who knows that there's more to Jake than this, because before he moved and became a famous rock star he lived near her and they were BFFs who were secretly in love with each other, but he moved and they lost contact before they were old enough to act on it.
We were our own island, and when he left, I was left adrift for a long time.

But twelve years later and their life roads cross again bringing back old memories, suppressed feelings and things left undone, but things are different now. They aren't kids anymore, they grew up, a lot of things happened, both good and bad, they have their own lifestyles which differ greatly and the question is: are they willing and strong enough to overcome those differences and is it all worth it?
Well, you're just have to read the book to find it out.

I gave it 3 stars, because around the middle all this unnecessary drama and increasing amount of cheesy content kind of ruined the initial impression for me, especially Tru's irrational behavior. I really started to dislike her towards the end. I would recommend it to the readers who liked books like Thoughtless which are high on drama and cheesy lines. It will probably be a real treat for them.

Lost in him. To him. Consumed and totally intoxicated.
I feel reckless. Heedless. Like I could do anything … want to do anything, with him, right
here and now.
 

XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Oh no on the cheesy drama, and it was going so well. why do writers do that. is word count that much more important.
    Love your review style.....
    Wendy
    http://fabulosityreads.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy :). I don't get it either, why authors do that. I'm allergic to cheesy lines.

      New follower :).

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...