Mar 25, 2015

ARC REVIEW: Claimed (Servants of Fate #2) by Sarah Fine

Genre:
Paranormal Romance/ Urban Fantasy

Buy The Book:

Connect With The Author:

Synopsis:

Galena Margolis, a brilliant scientist with a tragic past, is determined to fulfill her destiny and develop the vaccine that could save millions. Yet when Galena’s test subjects meet with foul play, it’s clear that someone is still determined to stop her, and that Galena herself is a target. As the Ferry empire forges a plan to keep her safe, Declan Ferry, the politics-hating black sheep of the family, steps forward to protect her—but the emotional cost may be more than either of them is willing to pay.

As unknown enemies close in, it becomes terrifyingly clear that they threaten to destroy not only Galena’s lifesaving work but also the very fabric of fate. As Galena and Declan race to uncover the traitor, they also forge a special bond that could save both Galena and those she’s sworn to help. Torn apart by the past and hunted by those she trusted, can Galena find room amidst her fears for a passion that could make her stronger than ever? And even if she and Declan can find their way together, will it be enough to keep the future from coming apart at the seams?

RATING:


*** REVIEW ***

As I said in my review of the 1st installment in this series- Marked (Servants of Fate, #1), this pnr romance/ urban fantasy books have the misfortune of me having read the Fever series by K. M. Moning, Guild Hunter series by N. Singh and Kate Daniels series by I. Andrews, which are for me one of the best out there when it comes to this genre and one of the main reasons why I find this series a bit lacking.

If I had read it 2-3 years ago, I would have probably liked it more, but my reading preferences have changed over the years. The thing I liked about this book the most is that it was less romance-driven than the previous one and focused more on the world-building, because the interesting and quite unique world-building is what kept me turning the pages. The story as a whole was okay- I liked it, but I kept waiting for *that moment* when someone or something will impress me, but it never came. 

The things that kept me from rating it higher:

~ Just like in the previous book, the main characters were for me yet again overshadowed by the secondary ones. Both, Cacy and Dec, just like their romance were portrayed a bit too plain in my opinion. I prefer my characters with more personality, even a bit edgy and therefore them two seemed too ordinary for my taste.

~ You know that feeling "this must be written by a woman" you get while reading some passage in the book? Well, I got that feeling every time while reading the chapters from Dec's point of view. This reason is also connected with the reason above. Dec is portrayed a bit too perfect for my taste, f.e. he never made mistakes, he always said and did the right things etc. He just seemed too fictional.

The best part of the book for me was the epilogue. Up until that moment I wasn't sure if I'm interested enough in reading the next book in the series despite my rating, but that awesome epilogue involving the intriguing Lord of the Kere, Moros, who is still my favorite character, and the new Charon, Aislin, decided it for me. Hopefully, the next book will live up to my expectations *fingers crossed.* 


xoxo,

Purple

10 comments:

  1. I saw that series on Netgalley but hesitated... I think it's not really up my alley, but thanks for sharing your review ;) The covers are beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge fan of this genre, so I had to check it out, but even after 2nd book I'm still not completely sold on this series. We'll see after the next book. Yeah, the covers are indeed pretty. No six packs for a change! ;D

      Delete
  2. I totally get where you're coming from. It sucks to feel a little disappointed with a book, through no fault of its own. Really want to read this series, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you should definitely read it and decide for yourself.

      Delete
  3. Sci-fi has not been my friends lately, I think I am in a slump!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that. :/ Hope you get you reading mojo back soon.

      Delete
  4. I remember you were a little let down by the first book but hoping for the sequel to be more impressive. Sorry to hear this didn't happen for you, Purple. At least the epilogue gave you some hope for a better experience with the last book. I'm sure it's tricky to write a male POV, and you're right, sometimes you can totally tell a woman wrote it. I hope the next book knocks your socks off. Wonderful review, Purple! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel! Hope so too. :)

      Delete
  5. Ahh I've had some series like that before where had I read it sooner it would have worked for me. Hopefully the next will work out better for ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna. I'm reading Written In Red by A. Bishop at the moment and loving it :)

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...