Sep 10, 2014

Review: TWISTED (Tangled, #2) by Emma Chase






Buy links:


Connect with the author:








Book summary:

There are two kinds of people in the world. The ones who look first, and the ones who leap. I’ve always been more of a looker. Cautious. A planner. That changed after I met Drew Evans. He was so persistent. So sure of himself – and of me.

But not all love stories end happily ever after. Did you think Drew and I were going to ride off into the sunset? Join the club. Now I have to make a choice, the most important of my life. Drew already made his –in fact, he tried to decide for the both of us. But you know that’s just not my style. So I came back to Greenville. Alone. Well, sort of alone....

What I've come to realize is that old habits die hard and sometimes you have to go back to where you began, before you can move ahead.

TWISTED picks up two years after Tangled’s end, and is told from Kate’s POV.




 
 My rating:  ✮✮✮✮


My review:

 The news that Tangled would get sequels was the best. Reading it was so much fun, so getting more of it was more than welcome. However, I was not too thrilled by not having Drew's POV which was really entertaining, and my favorite thing about Tangled. Right then and there my excitement dwindled. On top of that, the reviews were all about some stupid misunderstanding and drama that Twisted revolved around. So, for all those reasons, I had been unwilling to read it. Truth be told, I thought Kate would ruin it for me. And here I am now... eating my words, because overall, I really liked Twisted, too. Not as much as I did Tangled, but still enough to regret not reading it sooner. And the funny thing is, the reason I liked this book a little less was not because of Kate. It was Drew!

In many ways Twisted is a lot like its predecessor. Emma Chase's writing style is the same as in Tangled: the main character is still talking directly to the reader, offering information and advices, all in her special way. Another similarity would be the plot. In Tangled we found a very depressed Drew at the beginning, who then told us how he got that way, and afterwards we saw how it all got resolved. If you read it, you know that it was all because Drew jumped to conclusions, and made up a whole story in his head that was nowhere near the truth. Well, he did it again, only now it was more serious. I'm not sure how old he is in the book (I think he's 30), but he acted like a petulant, spoiled child. I'm afraid that's no news--he was always like that. I guess it's more fun reading about it from his point of view.

Back to Kate. Like Drew before her, we found her in a piss poor mood, completely down in the dumps, all because our dear old Drew royally screwed everything up by once again jumping to conclusions, and acting like an asshole. I guess we have our answer to whether he matured. Look, I'm not saying Kate didn't hold any responsibility, but I am siding with her. Hormones can be a real bitch. I know. Drew does not have that justification. I do wish the author chose something else to make up the plot for this book, because there were too many times I wanted to punch both Drew and Kate in the face for being so obtuse. Not to mention what it could have led to.

There's a lesson to be learned from this: don't assume, don't jump to conclusions, don't be vague, use concrete words, act like frigging adults!


On the bright side, those times when I didn't have the urge to hang Drew by the balls, I quite enjoyed Kate's POV. It was nice to have her side of the story, getting to know her better, her past, her family. What was surprising was how much I liked Billy. It was most likely Drew's fault, but in Tangled I wanted Kate to dump that loser's ass. Yeah, definitely Drew's fault. Anyhoo, the guy really grew on me. I kind of wished for his book.

Lastly, the epilogue--it was awesome. As much as I did like Kate, I loved that the epilogue was from Drew's POV. I think I've read somewhere the author has more fun writing in male POV, and it shows. No matter how much he pissed me off, Drew was fun.


Happy reading, everyone!

 
XOXO
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...