Sep 22, 2013

The Lonely (The Lonely, #1) by Tara Brown




Buy the book:
Author's:
My rating: 5 stars

***Copy of this book provided by publisher and author via NetGalley in exchange for honest review.***






Book summary:

"The truth is subjective to what the lonely lets in.

Emalyn Spicer has lived with it for a long time. She thinks it goes back further than her memories do. She knows it goes back further than the OCD.

When she arrives at college, her OCD's and the lonely refuse to let her have her wish to be normal.

When she meets Sebastian and starts to fall for him, she lets herself believe it's possible to outrun the things chasing her from the past. But how to you get away from the things inside of you? How do you run from yourself?

Just as she gives up and succumbs to the lonely, the unthinkable happens. She finds herself once again trapped in the dark, once again held against her will.

This time she meets the lonely head on. In the darkest corners of her mind, she discovers there is more to her world than she ever imagined. She discovers that the lonely was there for her, protecting her from herself and her secrets.

How far would you go to find yourself?"


     When I picked up this book, I didn't have any idea what should I expect. I knew it was new adult, romance, with few steamy scenes like in all NA books and main heroine with serious problems. I usually troll around Goodreads looking trough my friends' updates and reviews which leads to very bad thing - I figure out everything about books I want to read or end up with such a high expectations that I always end up feeling disappointed because it's never good as I expect it to be. Thank you God, I didn't do that with The Lonely.

     If you read my reviews here or on Goodreads, talked with me about my favorite books, than you know that I love, but seriously, love - twisted, dark, erotic stories with hints of capture-bonding and all other kink that goes with it. I could smell Stockholm syndrome after first ten pages. My inner perv was jumping all over the place and screaming: "Hell, yes! Finally! I am sick of all those lovey-dovey nonsense you've been feeding me lately."

     Oh, thank you holy father Soren for all the dark and fucked up bastards! Now you are thinking what the hell am I talking about and how does Soren, our dearest kinky priest, fits in this story. Well, he doesn't, but that man put all the standard must-haves for sadistic main characters we love so much. Tara Brown gave us one of those in her book. His name is Eli and you are going to kiss the ground he walks on. 

     The story may confuse you, but keep reading. I was lost for a moment while I was reading The Lonely. Why? After that initial euphoria about captive motif, I started losing hope that anything would happen along that lines. I was so wrong. My advice - do not read reviews with lot of synopsis details (we all know too well that some reviewers may get too caught in fangirling mode and they just can't help themselves - I am barely holding my wits together, I'm dying to tell you all). Just take the book in your hands and start reading. You will be surprised to see where it will take you. Also, you just might want to be alone while reading some parts. Your flaming red face might tip you off in front of your mother, not a nice conversation to have - trust me.

     Lost Boy. The companion novel to The Lonely, Lost Boy, was published in July this year. It is told from Eli's point of view and I heard that it is something that you should not miss. I am hyped to see what went trough his crazy head and I'll be reading it soon.

xoxo,

10 comments:

  1. This definitely sounds interesting and I do like a twisted story. I've not heard of this one before, but I'm thinking to add to my tbr. And I'm am now curious about this Eli character that you mentioned lol Great review!

    Janina @ Synchronized Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. Don't think I've heard of this one before but it sounds good. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the things I like about blogging - you can always find something new.

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...what a interesting sounding story! You definitely got my interest. Love the review! I

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you read it, I'd love to hear your thoughts about it.

      Delete
  4. I generally try to avoid reviews before I pick something up. I am so rarely surprised as it is, and reviews certainly don't help in that regard. But I love that this surprised you as much as it did, I will certainly add it to my list.
    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is hard to stay completely clueless Because of GR, Shelfari, book blogs, etc.
      Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I guess I shouldn't read this on the train either! Lots of squirming and side ways glances have a way of tipping of the other travelers! Thank goodness for Kindle so they can't see the cover of what I'm reading. Wonderful review, Glass! I'm totally curious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahah, e-book readers are life savers - I should know.:))) Too bad for the covers - sometimes I just want to sit and stare at them, luckily I have everything online.

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...