Jan 27, 2013

Here Be Sexist Vampires (Deep In Your Veins #1) by Suzanne Wright


Buy the book:
Amazon

Author's:
GoodReadsWeb siteBlog

Summary:

"Sam Parker is a vampire with a gift so strong and substantial that she is invited to partake in a test for a place in the Grand High Master Vampire’s private army. She finds that not only has the army never included a woman, but it has never included a Sventé vampire; a breed that is regarded by the super strong Pagori breed and the hypnotically beautiful Keja breed to be too tame and human-like. Most refuse to take her seriously, especially a Pagori commander named Jared who she craves in spite of herself. The Grand High Master, however, sees her potential and offers her the position of Jared’s co-commander to help train the newest squad in time for the impending attack on his home. Sam has to demonstrate to Jared and the squad of chauvinists why it is incredibly foolish to underestimate a wilful, temperamental, borderline-homicidal Sventé female.

Warning: This novel contains an iron-willed female vampire with an energy whip, a sexist male vampire who is determined to have her, explicit vampy sex, and a romance story with real bite."

Rating:

 My review:

"Again she lashed the whip and again it caught me; this time on my ear. Even in spite of the pain, I couldn’t help noticing how sexy she looked right now with her eyes smouldering and that whip threading through her fingers."
 Ladies and gentleman, meet Samantha Parker.


Oh yes, you're seeing it right. Our dear Sam has a whip. And a might one too. She's a vampire - a Sventé Vampire.
"...there are actually different breeds. Sventés like me don’t have hypnotic beauty like Kejas or have super-super-super strength and speed like Pagori vampires, though we are stronger and faster than any human. But our bloodlust isn’t overpowering which means that we can walk amongst humans without becoming overwhelmed and tempted to cling to someone’s artery." 

Every vampire receives a gift after he/she's been Turned. And Samantha has a very special and rare one, never seen in a Sventé - she's a Feeder. Able to manipulate energy, she can do a lot of awesome things, one of those, as picture suggests - create a whip, but that's just a small part. And because of her gift and her control over it, she was invited to take part in a tournament for a place in Grand High Master Vampire’s private army. The thing is - she's the only woman and the only Sventé EVER to try it.

A little about Sam: She's a kickass heroine, tough chick who doesn't back down or takes shit from everyone. She's confident, strong-willed and has a great mouth that made me laugh a lot. She makes men fall on their ass with her skill but she's also the greatest teacher - she takes her work seriously and her techinques are so smart she earned even my respect not just from the guys. Her bastard of a Sire who Turned her used her in the most awful ways which made her a strong woman who takes care of herself but never allowed her bad luck to make her a hateful weak woman. She really is a very fun and entertaining person. In one word: she's awesome!

"Throughout the entire session, I watched her. I couldn’t take my eyes off her; she conducted herself so confidently and had such control over her gift that I was in total awe of her. She basically commanded the entire arena and everything in it just with her presence. Not once did she become unsure of herself. Not once did she lose control of the situation." 

Then we meet Commander Jared Michaels.


“It’s...different...with you,” he finally said.
“Different how?”
“It just is. I don’t just want you, I need you. Crave you so bad that no one else even appeals to me.” 

Jared is a Pagori, a Commander and the biggest sexist ever. He wouldn't give her a place in the legion because she's a woman but mostly because she kicked his ass in the tournament.  

I looked down at a coughing Jared and arched a brow. "Now who’s the pretty girl?"

But then, Sam was placed as his co-worker to train with a group of 10 vampires to prepare them for the danger that's soon coming to the Hollow - the secret island of vampires. And the fighting/foreplay begins...

There are so many bad things about Jared, first that he's sexist, then he's prejudiced against Sventés, he sees woman as objects - even has three consorts (translation: whores who service him), and he acts like a spoiled brat sometimes his fu*king pride wouldn't let him take the girl sooner before another one almost took the spot.. But the thing with Jared is that he doesn't hide his desire for Sam, he acts on it - seducing her and she resists him. He's also very possessive and is attracted to Sam because of her attitude. Well, he may be another one of those - 'I like you because you don't like me' but he's still a great guy.

And oh man, when that man gets his charm and playful attitude out, he makes me purrrrr! And when he lets out an electric current(yes, I'm serious, he's electrokinetic) through her clit, oh God! The sexy things he says make me scream:

 "Shall I tell you what’s going to happen now?” He moved his mouth to my ear. “First I’m going to play with these gorgeous tits here, suck on these pretty little nipples. Then I’m going to fuck you with my fingers and my tongue until you come in my mouth. Only then will I slide my cock inside you. It’s not going to be slow and gentle, Sam. I’m going to fuck you hard and fast until you come so hard you scream. And do you know what you’ll scream? My name."

See what I'm saying?

Those two played a lot around each other for most of the book, their chemistry setting me on fire. They didn't have sex until 70 % of the book but the wait was worth it. One of the best vamp sex scenes ever!

"But at this point I’d had enough of fighting myself on this, enough of running away. All I wanted now was to feel that fire again. To have his hands on me again." 
 
I loved how Sam didn't give in to it right away, but she played with him - trapping his arms and legs then escaping him... Oh, I'll stop now before I spoil it anymore! But thing I loved most is the Sventé bite. You're just have to read the book to find out what I'm talking about

Other characters I really liked were Evan - who made Jared(his brother) insanely jealous because of his close friendship with Sam and Fletcher, Sam's assistant and a very cute British gay vampire I just adored.

This is an action-packed, laugh-out-loud, cool-vampire-not-just-another-romance-story, with a perfectly-paced-plot, great-characters, a-mountain-of-sexual-tension story and I am just obsessed with this book!
GO READ IT!

NOTE: The sequel, The Bite That Binds is coming out January 31. It's a continuation of Sam and Jared's story, but note that the first book doesn't have a cliffie. Also, the first published book has some mistakes but it was proofed and edited and re-released on January 13, so be careful if you stumble across the not-edited HBSV book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...