Dec 12, 2015

REVIEW: LONG WAY DOWN (Calloway Sisters #4) by Krista & Becca Ritchie

 


Authors' links:

SUMMARY 

With a seven-year age difference, Ryke & Daisy have faced an uphill battle in the eyes of the world and their families. Known as the most adventurous, fast-paced couple — their next step has always been elusive to the rabid media.
Behind the scenes, heartbreaking troubles continue to test Ryke & Daisy’s resilience and shape their future together. 
They promise:
To never slow down. 
To never compromise who they are. 
To never abandon their love for each other. 
But preserving their happiness also means adding more risks. Ones that Connor Cobalt wouldn’t even take. As a professional free-solo climber, Ryke is no stranger to risk, but his next step with Daisy wagers more than just his health. 
With their lives on the line, Ryke & Daisy head towards the vast, wild unknown in this epic final conclusion to the Addicted series.

MY RATING:


MY REVIEW:

Favorite Sayings from Ryke Meadows:
Daisy's favorite: I fucking love you.
Willow’s: I don’t fucking understand Tumblr.
Lo’s: Fuck you, you fucking fuck.
Lily’s: Fucking fantastic.
Rose’s: No means no. Better yet, fuck no.
Connor ’s: Connor Cobalt is a fucking narcissist.

It has been extremely difficult to write this review. Firstly because this is the last Addicted / Calloway Sisters book, and I simply refused to accept that this amazing, inspiring, empowering series could be over. However, now that some time has passed (I’ve finished LWD weeks ago), I’m not sad. In fact, I’m happy that we got 9 books to read about these 6 amazing characters, and – we’re staying in the Addicted world. The saga continues with the new generation. As long as the twins are writing, I’ll be content; good books will be coming our way.

He never gives up on me, even when I disappear at night. Even when I wane like the setting sun. His love is unyielding and exists to cloak me through heartache, through misery, through laughter and pain. I love him in every moment.In every smile. In every frown.And I will love him after every long way down.


Furthermore, the second reason why I find it difficult to write this review is because I didn’t love LWD as much as I hoped I would. And it truly pains me to say that; because we’re talking about the epic finale of my favorite series. And I know Krista & Becca Ritchie gave their absolute best to give us LWD in all of its epic glory. 

I like to say my reviews are always honest, therefore I feel like I cannot overlook the fact some tiny little details bothered me. I wish I loved this book as much as Fuel the Fire, but when I compare the two I cannot help but feel something was missing here. And trust me, this has nothing to do with the fact Coballoway is my favorite couple. When I first read Hothouse Flower, I think I even loved it a tiny bit more that Kiss the Sky. I also adore Addicted After All with all my heart, and Lilo is not my favorite. So! 

These things that influenced my liking of the book are kinda spoilery, but I’ll try my best to explain myself.  Well, the first thing deals with something that happens very early on, and it's just an issue I personally couldn't connect with, maybe a choice I wouldn't make, maybe even something that went tiny bit against my feminist views, and I was surprised, sad even. 
Eventually, I accepted it and the second half of the book went more smoothly. And that brings us to the second issue which deals with the pacing of the book. For me, the second half was a lot more enjoyable than the first. And yes, these books are character driven (it’s even stated at the beginning of the book), but I couldn’t help but feel that some scenes were drawn out.

Now, that I’ve got that off my chest, I can talk about the things I loved! And there are plenty of those. If I start listing all the causes of my love and devotion to this series, I’ll never finish this review, so I’ll just focus on Ryke & Daisy (the Wolf and the Sun) and Long Way Down.

Don’t be afraid of the unknown in tomorrow. Don’t be afraid of death. There is no worse life than a hollow one. So be alive every second of every fucking day.

LWD was a pretty heavy book. First we have the issue of Daisy’s illness, then her constant battle with depression, but for me, the central focus was on Ryke. This was his book. As we all know, Ryke lives and breathes rock climbing, and here we see something happen that shakes his core and determines his future. Seeing Ryke suffer, who is the strongest, the most enduring one of them, was not easy. 
There was this overall feeling of sadness permeating the whole book and there was something heartbreaking about watching Daisy and Ryke fall. It broke my heart really, seeing them dealing with all the shit that was being thrown their way. 

And I think back to all of our Grand & Daring Stakeouts, and how we were never really upset if we didn’t catch a potential flour-bomber. The stakeouts weren’t about the future—just about staying happy and content within the moment.

But it also made my heart lift, seeing how they dealt with all of their struggles. Daisy and Ryke inspire me, because that - staying happy and content within the moment – is the whole point. I feel like I could learn a lot from them, and that’s why I’ll forever treasure this book and memories made with Ryke & Dais. The way they go through life is spontaneous sure, daring even, but so so right! Their relationship is healthy, caring, I love how Ryke asks Daisy every day: “How are you feeling?” And 30 years from now he still will. With Long Way Down we got the essence of Ryke and Dais, and I loved it, and I love them. Your attitude towards life shapes your experience. Thank you, Daisy and Ryke, you’ve taught me a valuable lesson.

And I’m sorry if my review was too long, but oh well, it was inevitable. I’ll finish it off with my favorite quote from the book:

We’re still young. We still have so much life left to live. I’d rather live in the middle of all the glorious things than the teasing start or the bitter end. That’s just today though. Maybe my theory will change tomorrow.Maybe everything will be new and different again. I smile at the thought.Oh, the thrill of it all.


xoxo,
Beatrix

2 comments:

  1. She's not one I'd heard of before that I can remember. I'll have to hunt down that first book :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, please do! :) You'll get addicted for sure! :D

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...