May 25, 2014

High and Tight by Vanessa North

Buy The Book:

Author's Page:

Summary on Goodreads:

Pilot Adam Walker has had one great love in his life: Harris Kingston. But twelve years ago, when he accepted a scholarship and joined the Navy, he chose duty to his country over love. Their on-again off-again relationship was never more than private joy, a frustrating fact of military life.


Harris never wanted to be anyone's dirty little secret. When Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed two years ago, Adam broke his heart one last time. He's picked up the pieces and moved on, building a great career and dating guys who aren't afraid to be seen in public with him. But when Adam strolls into his salon asking for a haircut, his newfound happiness goes to hell in a handbasket.

Adam's been at war with himself for over a decade. Now on the verge of leaving the military, he's desperate to court Harris the right way and be forgiven. With two weeks' leave and a Navy man's conviction, he's ready to start over…if he can convince Harris he's ready to come out and commit.


RATING:


***REVIEW***

Hi everyone! So, real life= job has been preventing me to read or blog this past month, but I've managed to read 2-3 books even though it took me way longer than usual, one of that this yummie mm arc I got on Netgalley. Take that cruel world!!! *fist pump* 

Arc provided via Netgalley in exchange for honest review

"And I figured I'd come home, and I'd just go for it...
like you did that night you told me I was the biggest, 
brightest thing in you world."
"You were."
"You still are the biggest, brightest thing in mine..."


Every time I read a book about first love I remember a quote from The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher:

"You can only give your heart away once, after that,
everything else will chase your first love."


First love has the power to ruin you for everyone else. This is a story about that type of love. To find your soul mate when only 17 years old and at the same time discover that you are gay must be terrifying. That is why I could forgive Adam for the way he handled things in the past and why I could understand Harris's behavior in the present.

The story was very emotional, sweet and hot with likable main characters: Adam, the sexy Navy SEAL ft. the super cute hairdresser Harris. I admit- the thing that won me over to request this arc was a promise of a hot Navy Seal, because I love military mm books. Add to that GFY theme (gay-for-you) and I'm yours 4ever.

The story's only flaws: 
- It was too short. Only 86 pages. That's why I felt that some developments of the plot were too rushed. That's the curse of shorter stories I guess. Cute, but not exactly completely satisfying.

- Some cheesy content. The romance was sweet, but the part with tattoos was a bit over the top in my opinion or to be more specific- the design of the tattoos. 

All in all, it was an enjoyable, sweet and short mm book which I recommend to every mm fan when in need of an easy read with no bigger drama.

XOXO

8 comments:

  1. This sounds enjoyable and perfect for when life is crazy. I do love me a Navy Seal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men in uniforms- every girl's weakness ;)

      Delete
  2. Hope you can get more time to read and blog. Yeah, that can be an issue with shorter stories like that. Glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess it sounds like a cute, cheesy LGBT read but glad it was sweet and hot too. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really can you go wrong with a Navy SEAL??! lol Glad it was enjoyable even if too short. Those are so hard sometimes but it sounds like a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, it was a good one. You can never go wrong with men in uniforms in my opinion ;)

      Delete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...