Mar 18, 2013

Reckless by S.C. Stephens - Epic Buddy Read


Buy the book:

Author's:
Website / Facebook / Twitter

Book summary

"When the band hits it big, Kiera and Kellan must ask themselves: Can their love for each other survive the constant pressures of superstardom? The friendships they've formed, the new family they've found, and the history they've forged will all play a part in helping them navigate the turbulent waters of the band's exploding popularity. A greedy executive hell-bent on success, a declining pop star looking for an edge, and a media circus that twists lies into truths are just some of the obstacles the lovers will have to overcome if they are going to remain together. Fame comes with a price-but will it cost Kiera and Kellan everything?"

Kellan, you are not what you used to be... but we still love you!

     Reading Reckless turned out to be the biggest buddy reading ever: Red, Iva and I from Way Too Hot Books (PurpleBook is kidnapped by sexy Italians, we are still waiting for her to get bored and come back home), our Tanja from sister-blog Ja čitam, a ti?, Zemira from YA Fanatic and, at least, ten other girls we have met on Goodreads. One thing we all agreed about - Kiera is more annoying then ever and Kellan is so not that bad boy we fell in love with.

     How should we do this? Hmmm... Okay, let's start with our status updates.

Status update: 1%

Iva: "Let the onslaught of Reckless status updates on my home page BEGIN!!!! :D"
Glass: "I ordered paperback, but it comes out in April. I can not wait that long - well, hello there, Kindle. Nice to see you, my old friend."

Few minutes later...

Glass:  "Mornin', Mrs. Kyle.
              Aaaaaaaaa, I am going to die over here! :D"

Status update: 2%

Red:  "Well Kiera, if you can´t ask him, I can and I will...:P"

Glass (thinking):  "For fuck sake Kiera, arent you over that fake innocence stuff?!"

Status update: 4-8%

Glass:  "Already with drama?!"
Red:  "Jeez, I forgot how dumb she can be!"
Glass:  "Kellan's future children...Oh, my..."
Red:  "Griffin, yay!!!"

Status update: 15-46%

Glass:  "This is kind of... boring.:("
Iva:  ".... *sigh* Do I even have to say that Kiera annoys me??? I'm tired of this."
Red:  ""Rose. Petals. In. The . Shape. Of. Heart. God, this is to much for me..."
Red:  "Now I´m gonna need afternoon delight too..."
Glass:  "I am so freaking jealous...."
Iva:  This Sienna woman is... Is.. I want to.. Aaaarrggghhhh! Shoot her someone!! Shoot her!"
Tanja:  "Oh Kiera if only your brain turned on as easily as other parts of your body it'd be great."

Status update: 60-88%

Red:  "If someone here says ever again: "Will you marry me?" I´m going to scream! XD"
Glass:  "Chill out with all wife/husband stuff..."
Iva:   "Kellan Kyle, Magic Mike style. *faints* Mother. Fucker. I'd cut my own leg to see that!!!!"
Red:  "Kellan striper? I could get used to this!"
Tanja: "I'm not sure about putting Discman and a laptop in the same era!"
Red:  "Kellan goes all Edward Cullen! XD"

In the mean time... Red talking with Glass about Twilight moment via phone. Glass is whining because she has to work.
Later that day...

Glass:  "Red, I've read Cullen saves the day part...hahahahaha"
Red:  " Even I had to admit...I was gorgeous. Goddamn it, Kiera!!!"
Glass:  "Okay, this is maybe a little sappy, but my heart aches while I read about wedding. My parents hate each other that much that they can't even live in the same country, so I don't think I'll ever have that moment in my life."

Status update: 90-100%

Red: "Someone, please shoot me!!!"
Glass: "Why do I have feeling that S.C. Stephens is going to write about Avoiding Redemption next?:DDD"
Iva:  "Now THAT'S what I call a spectacular Grammy's show :DDD And it was a really beautiful wedding before :)"



"Our lives are crazy. When moments to remember happen, you have to pause a second to appreciate them. Otherwise none of this is worth it." 

     As you can see, Reckless didn't quite live up to our expectations, but we still enjoyed reading final story about rock god Kellan and Kiera.
     Red doesn't like sappy love stories (that girl is all about pervy, kinky plots), but she can read contemporary romance novels if they have really good realistic background.  She liked previous books because they made her feel something, like hating Kiera and adoring Kellan, but Reckless even made her like less one of her favorite bad boys. She was so annoyed that she rated Reckless with one star.
Iva and I have basically same problems with this book - there was just too much drama. It reminded us of Spanish or, even worse, Turkish soap operas. We needed cold shower after Kellan's Magic Mike moment and we kind of liked wedding scene. We gave it three stars rating.
     One of our friends told us that whole Kel-Sex drama reminded her of gossip about Gotye and Kimbra ("Somebody I Used to Know"). That made me think about S.C. Stephens. Who is she? Is it possible that there is real-life Kellan and all that stuff in the end about Kiera writing and self-publishing her novels is actually autobiographic? Or was all that just about making people wondering? I'd like to believe it is. 
      What we all had to admit was that writing is much better than in previous books. It is obvious that it went trough some serious editing process. 

       In the end we would like to send two messages.

Dear Kellan, 
     Thank you for making us smile and swoon. Thank you for making us friends - you were one of first boys we all fell in love with and came to understanding that we can share you and still be friends. Thank you for your "Mornin'". We will always think of you when we smell coffee. And we hate you - because there is no boy in real life quite like you.Love,
Iva, Red & Glass

Dear S.C.Stephens,
     We will always be grateful to you for giving us Kellan. Maybe there were things we didn't like, but we hope you'll forgive us. After all, we were one of your biggest fans over years and we did make lot of people read your novels.:) Speaking about that, you should send some special love to our girl Zemira - she is the one who started this whole thing. We wish you many brilliant books. And, please, write the story about Avoiding Redemption! All the best,
Iva, Red & Glass

1 comment:

  1. Awww, love the epic buddy read, you girls rock!:*
    Sorry that the book didn*t live to your expectations, because I know how crazy you were about K...ahem...these book series ;) and won*t tell you that I told you so, but...I told you so!!!;P

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...