Nov 12, 2016

ARC Review: INTERBOROUGH (Five Boroughs, #4) by Santino Hassell




Summary


The Raymond Rodriguez from a few years ago wouldn’t recognize the guy he is today. He’s left his slacker ways far behind him and is now juggling two jobs and school. But the balancing act doesn’t allow much time for the man he loves.

David is doing his best to be supportive, but problems at work and his own insecurity leave him frustrated—in more ways than the obvious—whenever he goes to bed before Raymond gets home. The heat and affection between them is still there, but they barely have the time or energy to enjoy it. And it doesn’t help that Raymond is still hiding David from his colleagues.

The stress mounts so high that a vacation in paradise is filled with turmoil instead of harmony, and culminates on their return to the five boroughs with broken promises and heartache. They have to figure out how to stop allowing their differences to overshadow their love. It’s the only way they’ll make it to forever.

 
 
Connect with the author
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads 




Review


Rating: 4.5 stars!

Well, I found another favorite series! On the Goodreads scale of "did not like it" to "it was amazing", Five Boroughs is amazing. Interesting stories and characters, lots of hotness and feels -- it's all here, and I love it. I can't wait to find out who will be the next couple to get their HEA! There are so many possibilities, and I just want these books to keep on coming.

Interborough is another book about Raymond and David. They met in the first novel, Sutphin Boulevard, and made me think they'd be cute together. Then they got their own book Sunset Park, and drove me a bit crazy with it. Correction, David drove me crazy. Raymond I loved, but David I found annoying. As a consequence Sunset Park became my least favorite book in the series. That is why I was a little nervous to start this installment, but skipping a book in my new favorite series, and not reading about Raymond finally getting his HEA, and not catching up on the other characters was simply not an option. Even if it meant having to read more about David.


Raymond Rodriguez was first introduced as a pot smoking, video games playing, unemployed, mom's little baby. In this book he couldn't have been more different. He lived with his boyfriend, worked two jobs, one of which he absolutely hated, and went to school so he could get ahead at the job he actually liked and wanted to continue doing. His days and nights were exhausting. I knew he's a fictional character, but I couldn't help but feel proud of him for all he was doing. He's such a kind and considerate man. I kind of wish he was in a relationship with someone who'd show sympathy and support during such a busy time in his life, someone who wouldn't wake him up in the middle of the night to start a fight, but he isn't. He loves David.

I think I've already made it abundantly clear David is not my favorite person in the series. It's been four books, and I haven't grown to like him, so I may be a little harsh when I talk about him. I tried to understand him; to put myself in his shoes, but they didn't fit. His insecurities and jealousy were the cause of many unnecessary fights, and it drove me nuts reading it. He was under pressure at work too, so I cut him some slack, but his paranoia went too far. In my opinion.

With all that happening to them separately, things weren't great with them when they were together, and with Raymond's packed schedule, they weren't together much. Raymond and David were out of their romantic little bubble, and with the real world came real problems and kept on coming to kick their asses. The love was there, but there was a lot of strain between them. They had to resolve quite a few issues in fifteen chapters, and it made for an interesting and emotionally draining read, something I've come to expect from this series. Santino Hassell sure knows how to create complicated characters that feel so real and put them through the wringer. You know, kind of like life does to people.

After fifteen chapters came the epilogue that was not entirely about Ray and David, but about another couple, and it made me so happy.


Now I can't wait for the next book to come out. I was lucky that by the time I started this series, I already had all four books. Now I have to be patient. Ugh... No matter, I strongly believe whenever the new book comes out, it will be great.



***ARC provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***



Until next time, happy reading!




XOXO,
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments, so feel free to write to us. We try to respond to every single one and to comment back on your blog, if you have one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...